2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007
- Doctoral Students and Faculty Present at 112th APA Convention: "Raising the Stakes: How Students' Motivation for Mathematics Associates with High and Low Stakes Achievement"
- Ph.D. Student Elizabeth Miller Presents Paper at Head Start's 12th National Conference: "Does Head Start Benefit Children at Greater Risk?"
- Distinguished Professor of Education Jacquelynne Eccles Lectures and Shares Expertise with Educational Leaders in Germany, Finland, Estonia, Poland, and Russia
- Alumna Christa Copp Delivers Closing Address to 2014 EduSoCal Technology Conference: "Moonbeams and Marshmallows: Why Reinventing Matters"
- Jeannette Mancilla Martinez Publishes in ScienceDirect: "Preschoolers' English Vocabulary Development: The Influence of Language Proficiency and At-Risk Factors"
- Distinguished Professor Jacquelynne Eccles and
Colleagues In Press with "The Role
of Parents in The Ontogeny of Achievement-Related Motivation and
Behavioral" in Monographs of the
Society for Research in Child Development.
- Assistant Professor Susanne Jaeggi In Press with
“Transfer of Working Memory Training – Theoretical and Practical Considerations”
(Chapter 2). In B. Toni (Ed.), New
Frontiers of Multidisciplinary Research in STEAM-H (Science, Technology,
Engineering, Agriculture, Mathematics, and Health) (Vol. 90): Springer
Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics.
- Associate Professor Gilberto Conchas Participates in Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Forward Promise Summer Plenary
- Associate Professor Thad Domina Presents with Marianne Bitler and Hillary Hoynes at 12th Annual National Head Start Conference: "Experimental Evidence on Distributional Effects of Head Start"
- Visiting Scholar Chengxia Guo, Computer Science Lecturer from Shanghai Ocean University, Funded by Shanghai Municipal Education Commission, Collaborating with Professor Mark Warschauer
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Associate Professor Visiting Scholar Li Zhang Researches Automated Writing Evaluation with Professor Mark Warschauer
- 2014 NCTQ Assessment of Teacher Education Program Quality Ranks Cal Teach Science & Math Program #1 in California, # 1 in Western Region, and # 8 in US
- Professor George Farkas' Research Findings Highlighted in AERA Journal: "Teachers More Likely to Use Ineffective Instruction When Teaching Students with Mathematics Difficulties"
- Dean Deborah Lowe Vandell Delivers Keynote Address at 2014 Meeting of National Network of Statewide Afterschool Networks
- Visiting Scholar from Palestine Khitam Shraim Researching Instructional Design Framework for STEM Education Mobile Learning
- Professor Ruben Rumbaut’s Legacies: The Story of the Immigrant Second Generation (Portes & Rumbaut) Now Published in Japanese
- Research by Professor George Farkas and Colleagues Finds Teachers More Likely to Use Ineffective Instruction When Teaching Students with Mathematics Difficulties
- Results from National Children’s Study Evaluation, Chaired by Distinguished Professor of Education Greg Duncan, Released for Public Review
- Assistant Professor Susanne Jaeggi Publishes with Colleagues in Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience: “The Development and Malleability of Executive Control Abilities”
- Dean Deborah Lowe Vandell Delivers Tribute to Departing Chancellor Michael V. Drake During University Celebration
- Cal Teach Celebrates 26 Program Graduates & NCTQ Rankings Placing Program #1 in California and Pacific Region and #8 in Nation
- Associate Professor Thad Domina Publishes in Child Development: “The Link Between Middle School Mathematics Course Placement and Achievement"
- Rossella Santagata Delivers EARLI Keynote Address in Chiemsee, Germany: "From Learning to Teaching to Teacher Learning: Journeys through Cultures and Disciplines"
- Faculty and Students from Working Memory and Plasticity Lab Present at Annual Convention of the Association for Psychological Science
- Associate Professor Rossella Santagata Co-Publishes in Annual Perspectives in Mathematics Education 2014: “Making Mathematical Errors: Springboards for Learning”
- Professors Rubén Rumbaut and Cynthia Feliciano Awarded Russell Sage Foundation Grant to Continue Longitudinal Study of Children of Immigrants
- Dean Deborah Vandell Named to National After School Association's 2014 List of the 25 Most Influential People in the Afterschool Community
- Professor Mark Warschauer Publishes with Colleagues in Equity & Excellence in Education: "Balancing the One-to-One Equation: Equity and Access in Three Laptop Programs"
- Associate Professor Gilberto Conchas and Doctoral Student Alex Lin Publish in Urban Education: “Superstar or Scholar? African American Youth’s Perceptions of Opportunity in a Time of Change”
- Distinguished Professor of Education Greg Duncan Publishes with Dick Murnane in Hechinger Report: “Why Getting Teacher Accountability Right is Essential to Common Core’s Success”
- Assistant Professor Tesha Sengupta-Irving Honored at Celebration of Teaching for Excellence in Undergraduate Education
- Associate Professor Gilberto Q. Conchas Quoted in KPCC News Feature: "California Dropout Rates Dip Again: LA Unified Still Lagging"
- Visiting Professor Jamal Abedi Receives UC Davis Distinguished Scholarly Public Service Award
- Ph.D. Students Garner Three National Science Foundation Fellowship Awards and an Honorable Mention
- Ph.D. Student Elizabeth Miller Interviewed by NPR about Head Start Research Findings
- Certificate in Afterschool Education (CASE) Earned by 42 Undergraduates during 2013-2014 - Total of 85 Certificates Awarded since Program Introduced in 2008
- Associate Professors Stephanie Reich and Rebecca Black, Ph.D. Student Ksenia Korobkova Publish in Journal of Community Psychology: “Connections and Communities in Virtual Worlds Designed for Children”
- Professor Greg Duncan and Richard Murnane’s Book Restoring Opportunity: The Crisis of Inequality and the Challenge for American Education Praised by David Wessel in Wall Street Journal Blog
- 2014 AERA Presentation Abstracts, Contributions, and Appointments
- Visiting Professor Jamal Abedi's Research Finds Read-Aloud Option Boosts Achievement on National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
- Assistant Professor Susanne Jaeggi Publishes with Colleagues in Frontiers in Human Neuroscience: "Differential Effect of Motivational Features on Training Improvements in School-Based Cognitive Training"
- Assistant Professor Jeannette Mancilla-Martinez Featured Speaker for Reading in Motion (RIM): "Dual-Language Learning During the Early Grades and the Implications for Later Reading Achievement"
- Distinguished Professor of Education Greg Duncan Publishes with Richard Murnane in The Atlantic: "How Public Schools Can Fight Back Against Inequality"
- Dean Deborah Lowe Vandell Honored as Educational Leader by OC Metro: "Women to Watch"
- AERA Appoints Three School of Education Professors as Inaugural Editors for New Journal AERA Open
- Distinguished Professor Greg Duncan's Jacobs Research Prize Award to Fund Research in the Role of Income in Early Childhood Brain Development
- UCI Writing Project Director Carol Booth Olson Initiates 5-Year USDE-Funded Research to Improve Academic Outcomes for Secondary English Learners
- Professor Mark Warschauer Receives Google Research Award to Study "Learning Analytics of Cloud-Based Writing"
- Afterschool Outcome Measures Online Toolbox Surveyed 35,000 Students and 17,000 Afterschool Staff and Classroom Teachers at 700 Sites During Fall 2013
- UC Irvine Cal Teach Math & Science Offers Undergraduates Service Learning Opportunity: "Spring Break in the Desert" Information | Application
- Professor Mark Warschauer Selected as 2014 Fellow of the American Educational Research Association
- Distinguished Professor of Education Greg Duncan Publishes with Richard Murnane: Restoring Opportunity: The Crisis of Inequality and the Challenge for American Education
- National Academy of Education Member Professor Rubén Rumbaut Discusses Work Studying Large Movements of People Across International Borders
- Assistant Professor Susanne Jaeggi's Research Cited in Scientific American Article: "Can Cognitive Training Make You Smarter?"
- Associate Professor Rossella Santagata Presents at UNESCO-Sponsored Meeting on Video and Teacher Education at the Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon, France
- Associate Professor Elizabeth van Es Presents with Doctoral Students Janet Mercado and Jennifer Sun at 18th Annual Conference of Association for Mathematics Teacher Educators
- Assistant Professor Tesha Sengupta-Irving Serves as Panelist for 10th Annual Women's Studies Keyword Roundtable: "Risk"
- Lecturer Josy Guarino Publishes with Marie Sykes and Rossella Santagata in Network: "The Value of Why for Student and Teacher"
- Associate Professor Carol Booth Olson Awarded $11,122,902 USDE Innovation Grant: "Pathway to Academic Success: A Cognitive Strategies Approach to Text-Based Analytical Writing to Improve Academic Outcomes for Secondary English Learners"
- Distinguished Professor Greg Duncan's Research Featured in Orange County Register: "Does Poverty Affect Early Brain Development?"
- Assistant Professor Hosun Kang Publishes with Colleagues in Journal of Research in Science Teaching: "Desiring a Career in STEM-Related Fields: How Middle School Girls Articulate and Negotiate Identities-in-Practice in Science"
- Assistant Professor Susanne Jaeggi Publishes as Senior Author with Colleagues in APA PsychNET: “The Malleability of Working Memory and Visuospatial Skills: A Randomized Controlled Study in Older Adults”
- Associate Professor Rossella Santagata Publishes with Doctoral Student Cathery Yeh in Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education: “Learning to Teach Mathematics and to Analyze Teaching Effectiveness: Evidence from a Video- and Practice-Based Approach”
- Assistant Professor Jeannette Mancilla-Martinez Publishes with Colleague in NHSA Dialog: A Research-to-Practice Journal for the Early Childhood Field: “Spanish-Speaking Parents' Beliefs about their Young Children's Learning and Language Development”
- Professor Mark Warschauer Presents with Ph.D. Students Suhang Jiang and Bianca Cung at MOOC Research Initiative Conference on Peer Assessment and Academic Achievement in a Gateway MOOC